There is no one thing that is the key to achieving optimal health. A person’s overall daily routine is what is most important- small changes daily can make all the difference.
Here are our top actions for working toward a healthier you this Summer:
- Embrace the basics. Eating right doesn’t have to be complicated. Forget the fad diets and adopt a healthy eating plan that is for the long term!
- Move more. Aim to get at least 30 minutes of moderate activity a day- such as walking, or whatever activity you like to do!
- Be smoke/alcohol free. Make a plan for the challenges you will face and keep trying your best.
- Schedule sleep. Sleep is so important!! Make sleep a priority to enjoy a more focused, energy-filled lifestyle. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Create a relaxing bed-time routine and change your electronic device settings to the “night-shift” mode- even try magnesium supplements.
- Connect with others. Building a community of people who can help you through life’s ups and downs is a vital step towards happiness and good health. Invest in relationships that provide encouragement and accountability to both parties.
- Stress Less. Take time to de stress in whichever way works for you!
- Work toward or maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, work toward losing 5-7% of your weight to significantly reduce your health risks. Studies show that individuals who track their intake using an app, such as myfitnesspal, lose more weight and keep it off compared to those who don’t track.
- Set SMART goals. General goals such as “exercise more” are not effective. A SMART goal is Specific, Measurable, Action-oriented, Realistic, and Timely. “I will walk 20 minutes over my lunch break on Tuesdays and Thursdays” is a SMART goal.
- Stay positive. Health goals don’t always go as planned. When you face challenges, focus on all of the positive changes you have made, no matter how small they seem. Treat yourself with kindness, like you would a good friend.
Good luck on your journey x